Churchill is no longer offering Tradesperson and Professionals Insurance.

If you need cover for your small business, you can get a quote from our friends at Direct Line.

Direct Line and Churchill are both brands owned by U K Insurance Limited.

If you already have a Churchill tradesperson or professionals policy, check out our answers to some common questions for more information.

Painters and Decorators Insurance

£1 million Public Liability Insurance included as standard. Cover your tools and equipment with a range of optional extras.


Reasons to get Painters and Decorators Insurance

  • £1 million cover as standard – you can increase it to £10 million
  • Up to £10,000 cover for your valuable tools and business equipment
  • Cover for your staff with Employers’ Liability Insurance
  • Make your insurance work for you with a range of optional extras
  • Access to a 24/7 legal helpline
  • Personal accident cover up to £10,000

What is Painters and Decorators Insurance?

Working with paint and reaching for high ceilings in clients’ homes means a simple mistake can easily cause property damage or injury.

If a customer or another third party makes a claim and you’re found responsible, painters and decorators insurance will help cover your compensation costs.

You can tailor your insurance to suit the unique needs of your business and only pay for the cover you need.

What does Painters and Decorators Insurance cover?

Business Insurance for painters and decorators starts with standard Public Liability cover, and you can add a range of optional extras to tailor your policy to exactly what you need.

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability Insurance isn’t legally compulsory for painters and decorators, but most people in the industry think it’s essential.

Public sector organisations and large companies are unlikely to work with an uninsured painter and decorator, so you could miss out on valuable work if you’re not covered.

Having Public Liability Insurance means you’re protected if you or an employee accidentally injures a member of the public or damages their property.

Public Liability Insurance offers you up to £1 million of cover as standard, with the option of increasing it to up to £10 million.

Find out more about Public Liability Insurance

Employers’ Liability Insurance

Employers' Liability Insurance is a legal requirement under the Employers’ Liability Act 1969 if you employ staff or apprentices.

It covers you if one of your employees is injured or becomes ill while they’re working for your business.

Employers' Liability Insurance is provided as standard if you have employees. 

Find out more about Employer’s Liability Insurance

Tools and business equipment cover

How would you cope without the tools of your trade?

You can cover your valuable tools and business equipment up to £10,000 as an optional extra for added peace of mind.

Tools cover includes mobile phones and laptops.

Find out more about Tools and business equipment cover

Don’t forget your van

Most tradesmen would be lost without their van.

Get cover for your van if you use it to carry your tools and equipment to work.

Find out more about Van Insurance

Churchill van insurance is arranged and administered by our partner Brightside Insurance Services ltd

Make your policy work for you

Tailor your cover with these optional extras.

Public Liability Cover up to £10 million

Cover against claims for injury or property damage by clients or members of the public. You can increase your standard cover to up to £10 million.

Find out more about Public Liability Insurance

Tools and Business Equipment Cover

You can cover your valuable tools and business equipment up to £10,000 for added peace of mind. Tools cover includes mobile phones and laptops.

Find out more about tools and business equipment cover

Personal Accident Cover

Insure named people in your business, aged 16‐75, against personal accidents. Add death benefit up to £10,000 (weekly benefits up to £100).

Contract Works Cover

Get up to £750,000 cover for work that’s underway on a site. It can cover the cost of repairing or re-doing the work that’s in progress if it’s damaged by an insured event like fire or flooding.

Business Stock Cover

Up to £25,000 cover if your business stock is damaged or stolen.

Own Plant Cover

£75,000 cover if your own plant is damaged or stolen. It includes temporary buildings and site huts.

Hired-in Plant Cover

Insure your hired-in plant from damage or theft. Get cover for any one item up to £20,000 (the maximum sum insured is £75,000)

Cover for Temporary Employees

Insure temporary employees or bona-fide contractors hired by your business.

Get into the detail

Policy documents

You can read our Tradesman policy documents below.

These are standard documents that might be different to the ones you received when you took out your policy.

Log in to your account to find your individual policy documents.

Policy documents for policies starting before 23rd August 2023

Policy documents for policies starting 23rd August 2023

Frequently asked questions


Although Business Insurance isn’t a legal requirement, it covers you against a range of risks you may have to deal with yourself if you’re not insured.

For example, compensation claims for injuries or property damage. It also shows potential clients that you’re a reliable, professional tradesman and some larger companies won’t hire you if you’re not covered.


You do if you employ anyone to work for you, including apprentices, because it’s a legal requirement. If you’re a sole trader and you don’t have anyone working for you, there’s no need to have Employers’ Liability cover.

You can add Employer’s Liability cover to your policy at any time if you do take someone on. Just give us a call, and we’ll get it sorted.

Need some help?

Visit our help and support page for answers to common questions or to contact us if you want to talk to someone. 

Help and support