Landlord Insurance

Don't be afraid of the 'chill' ...boiler cover included as standard.

As part of buildings cover. Excludes servicing and wear and tear. £200 excess applies.


Reasons to rely on Churchill for Landlord Insurance

  • Choose from Buildings, Contents or Buildings and Contents Cover.
  • Landlord Boiler Cover (excludes boiler servicing), with Buildings Insurance.
  • £2 million Public Liability Cover as standard, you can increase it to £5 million or £10 million.
  • Our specialist claims handlers will guide you through making a claim to help you protect your investment.
  • Floor coverings insured for up to £5,000.
  • Unlimited glass and sanitary cover.
  • Access to our 24-hour legal advice line.
  • Free access to our business information support service, Churchill Business Navigator

What is Landlord Insurance?

Are you a landlord or buy‐to‐let owner?

Home insurance isn’t designed for rental properties, so it’s important to get the specialist cover you need to protect you from unexpected costs and damage to your buildings and contents.

Landlord Insurance covers you against the various risks of renting or leasing a property, as well as letting to a third-party business.

Whether you're a commercial or residential landlord, or thinking about renting out a property, we can arrange flexible cover tailored to suit your needs and help keep your investment safe.

Do I need Landlord Insurance?

If you’re a landlord or thinking about becoming a landlord, it's essential to have the right level of insurance in place.

You can tailor our flexible cover to suit your property portfolio and insure your buildings, contents, and up to 25 properties on one policy.

What does our insurance cover?

Buildings Insurance

If your buy-to-let property is unfurnished and without contents, you can take out an insurance policy that covers buildings only.

Our Buildings Insurance covers the 'bricks and mortar' of your property up to £15 million.

Find out more about Buildings Insurance

Contents Insurance

If you're a residential landlord with a furnished or part-furnished property, our contents insurance could cover you against the cost of repairing or replacing damaged appliances and furniture, if you also want to cover accidents, then you can also add optional extra Accidental Damage Cover.

Landlord’s contents insurance can cover you for up to £1.5 million of damage to furniture, fixtures, and fittings that don’t form a permanent part of your property’s structure.

Find out more about Contents Insurance

Types of Landlord Insurance

Residential Landlord Insurance

Choose Residential Landlord Insurance if you rent out a home to residential tenants.

This will cover the buildings and contents that you can insure together or separately, and the cost of rehousing tenants if the property is damaged.

Commercial Landlord Insurance

Commercial Landlord Insurance covers you if you let out a property to a third-party business, for example an industrial unit or shop.

Commercial properties are often built differently from residential properties and face different risks that a residential landlord policy won’t cover, including heating systems.

Buildings Insurance is compulsory for commercial premises.

Multi-Property Landlord Insurance

Select Multi-Property Landlord Insurance if you own multiple properties, or have a mixed portfolio of residential and commercial buildings.

You can insure up to 10 properties on a single policy online. If you need to insure more, contact us.

Make your policy work for you

Tailor your cover with our optional extras

Loss of Rent Cover

We cover loss of rent of up to £2.5 million and cover alternative accommodation costs if your property is empty because an insured incident has made it uninhabitable.

Public Liability Cover up to £10 million

If a tenant or a visitor is injured on your property, the right level of cover will help you guard against a costly claim. Public and Property Owner's Liability cover up to £10 million.

Accidental Damage

Protection against any accidental damage to your property or contents due to unexpected and non-deliberate outside forces.

Subsidence Cover

This covers damage to the building caused by the foundations moving. Including subsidence, landslip, or ground heave.

Multi-Property Liability Cover

If you're a landlord for multiple properties, you can insure up to 10 properties on one policy online. If you need to insure more, contact us.

Legal Expenses Cover

If you need to go to court over a tenancy dispute, we can provide Legal Expenses Cover of up to £250,000.

Employers' Liability Cover

If you employ staff, you’re legally required to take out the right level of Employer's Liability Cover. We offer cover up to £10 million.

Terrorism Cover

Damage to a property as a result of terrorist acts can result in high costs unless you have the right level of cover in place.

Rent Arrears Cover

Covers you if your tenants can't pay their rent. Available as part of our Legal Expenses Cover on Residential Landlord policies.

Find out more about Rent Arrears Cover

Expert guidance for your business

Business is confusing enough without having to worry about risks, rules, and regulations.

When you’re running your own business, you want to concentrate on the things you do best and leave the boring stuff to someone else.

That’s where we come in. We can’t do it all for you, but Churchill Business Navigator can help you find your way through some of the red tape that business owners have to deal with.

What’s Churchill Business Navigator?

Churchill Business Navigator is our free, easy to use risk management portal for Churchill Business Tradesperson, Professional and Landlord customers.

It has a wide range of tools and resources to help you manage risk in your business 24/7.

The help available includes online modules covering everything from HR processes and business continuity plans to dealing with Brexit and employment legislation.

You can get a response from our team of experts to any questions you have within 24 hours and there’s a library of downloadable industry-standard documents to help you with HR and health and safety compliance.

Get into the detail

Things you need to know

  • To get a quote, you need the following to hand: the year you become a landlord, the year the property was built, and the date of purchase.
  • There's a £200 excess as standard, which you can change. This could impact your premium and the amount you need to pay if you make a claim.
  • If you employ staff, you’re legally required to take out the right level of employers' liability cover. You can find more guidance and support on the Government website under Employers' Liability Insurance. If you have any employees or are a limited company, you will get employers’ liability cover included as standard in your landlord policy.
  • If you're taking out Buildings Insurance, you need to know the buildings sum insured rebuild cost - this should take into account the cost of materials, debris removal, architects and surveyor fees, and inflation during the rebuild period. If you don’t know the cost of rebuilding the property, check a recent surveyor's report or use the ABI BCIS Rebuild Cost Calculator, as guidance.
  • Quotes are valid for 45 days. To view a saved quote or log into your account, and click ‘retrieve a quote’.

Policy documents

You can read our Landlord policy documents below.

These documents are for you if your policy started before 26 April 2023.

These are standard documents that might be different to the ones you received when you took out your policy.

Log in to your account to find your individual policy documents.

Policy documents for policies starting 26 April 2023

Our pick of helpful landlord insurance questions

What is Property Owner's Liability?

Property Owner’s Liability, also known as Public Liability, will protect you if you're found responsible for accidental injury to third parties, or damage to their possessions at your rental property.

For example, if someone trips on a loose carpet on the staircase and is seriously injured.

We provide £2 million Public Liability cover as standard.

Depending on the property you’re insuring, you may need to select a larger amount of cover, which might be guided by your contract with your customer.

Is ordinary home insurance enough to cover my rental property?

Home insurance isn't designed for rental properties.

It’s important to get the specialist cover you need as a landlord to protect against costly claims.

What if I want to rent out more than one property?

With Churchill, you can cover all your properties under one policy.

You can insure up to 10 properties online under the same policy, or up to 25 properties if you contact us.

What can I do about a nuisance tenant?

As a first step, try to resolve your issue directly with the tenant.

If that doesn’t work, put the complaint in writing and tell them you're considering legal action.

If this doesn’t resolve it, you can evict the tenant under Section 8 or Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988.

Need some help?

Visit our help and support page for answers to common questions or to contact us if you want to talk to someone. 

Help and support