Landlord Insurance

Don't be afraid of the 'chill' ...boiler cover included as standard.

As part of buildings cover. Excludes servicing and wear and tear. £200 excess applies.


National LIS Awards 2023 - Best Landlord Insurance Provider

Reasons to rely on Churchill for Landlord Insurance

  • £2 million Public Liability Cover as standard, you can increase it to £5 million or £10 million
  • Choose from Buildings, Contents or Buildings and Contents Cover
  • Rent Arrears cover - if your tenants can’t pay, we will
  • Landlord Boiler Cover with Buildings Insurance (doesn't include boiler servicing)
  • Floor coverings insured for up to £5,000
  • Our specialist claims handlers will guide you through making a claim to help you protect your investment
  • Access to our 24-hour legal advice line

What is Landlord Insurance?

Home insurance isn’t designed for rental properties, so getting the specialist cover you need to protect you from unexpected costs and damage to your buildings and contents is important.

Landlord Insurance covers you against the risks of renting or leasing a property, and letting to a third-party business.

Whether you're a commercial or residential landlord or considering renting out a property, we can arrange flexible cover to suit your needs and help keep your investment safe.

Landlord Insurance covers you for things like floods, fires, storms or burst pipes.

You can also choose to include extras like boiler cover, rent arrears cover (for residential properties only) and accidental damage cover to your policy.

Do I need Landlord Insurance?

If you’re a landlord or thinking about investing in a rental property, it's essential to have the right level of insurance in place.

Even though it isn’t a legal requirement, most buy-to-let lenders will want you to have Landlord Insurance in place before your tenants move in.

You can tailor our flexible insurance to suit your property portfolio and cover your buildings and contents.

If you have a large portfolio you can insure up to 25 properties on one policy.

What does Landlord Insurance cover?

Landlord Insurance offers you cover for your buildings and your contents.

You can insure them separately or together on the same policy.

Buildings Insurance

If your buy-to-let property is unfurnished and doesn’t contain any contents, you can take out an insurance policy for the building only.

Our Buildings Insurance covers your property's 'bricks and mortar' up to £15 million.

It includes cover for things like fire damage, burst pipes, subsidence and vandalism.

Find out more about Buildings Insurance

Contents Insurance

If you're a residential landlord with a furnished or part-furnished property, our Contents Insurance covers you against the cost of repairing or replacing accidentally damaged appliances and furniture.

Landlord Contents Insurance can cover you for up to £1.5 million of damage to furniture, fixtures, and fittings that don’t form a permanent part of your property’s structure.

This includes things like fridges, freezers, washing machines, tables, and floor coverings.

Find out more about Contents Insurance

What types of Landlord Insurance are there?

Residential Landlord Insurance

Choose Residential Landlord Insurance if you rent out a property to residential tenants.

This will cover the buildings and contents you can insure together or separately and the cost of rehousing tenants if the property is damaged.

Commercial Landlord Insurance

Commercial Landlord Insurance covers you if you let out a property to a third-party business, for example an industrial unit or shop.

Commercial properties are often built differently from residential properties and face different risks that a residential landlord policy won’t cover, including heating systems.

Buildings Insurance is compulsory for commercial premises.

Multi-Property Landlord Insurance

Select Multi-Property Landlord Insurance if you own multiple properties, or have a mixed portfolio of residential and commercial buildings.

You can insure up to 10 properties on a single policy online. If you need to insure more, contact us.

Make your policy work for you

Tailor your cover with our optional extras

Loss of Rent Cover

Cover for loss of rent of up to £2.5 million and cover for alternative accommodation costs if your property is empty and uninhabitable due to an insured incident.

Public Liability Cover up to £10 million

We'll cover the cost if a tenant or a visitor is injured on your property. Public and Property Owners' Liability cover up to £10 million.

Accidental Damage

Cover for accidental damage to your property or contents due to unexpected and non-deliberate incidents.

Subsidence Cover

This covers damage to the building caused by the foundations moving. Includes subsidence, landslip, or ground heave.

Multi-Property Liability Cover

If you're a landlord for multiple properties, you can insure up to 10 properties on one policy online. Contact us if you need to insure more.

Legal Expenses Cover

If you need to go to court over a tenancy dispute, we can provide Legal Expenses Cover up to £250,000.

Employers' Liability Cover

If you employ staff, you’re legally required to take out the right level of Employer's Liability Insurance. We offer cover up to £10 million.

Terrorism Cover

Damage to a property as a result of terrorist acts can result in high costs unless you have the right level of cover in place.

Rent Arrears Cover

Covers you if your tenants can't pay their rent. Available as part of our Legal Expenses Cover on Residential Landlord policies.

Find out more about Rent Arrears Cover

Get into the detail

Things you need to know

  • To get a quote, you need the following to hand: the year you become a landlord, the year the property was built, and the date of purchase.
  • There's a £200 excess as standard, which you can change. If you change your excess it could affect how much your policy costs and the amount you need to pay if you make a claim.
  • If you employ staff, you’re legally required to take out the right level of employers' liability cover. You can find more guidance and support on the Government website under Employers' Liability Insurance. If you have any employees or are a limited company, you will get employers’ liability cover included as standard in your landlord policy.
  • If you're taking out Buildings Insurance, you need to know the buildings sum insured rebuild cost - this should take into account the cost of materials, debris removal, architects and surveyor fees, and inflation during the rebuild period. If you don’t know the cost of rebuilding the property, check a recent surveyor's report or use the ABI BCIS Rebuild Cost Calculator, as guidance.
  • Quotes are valid for 45 days. To view a saved quote or log into your account, and click ‘retrieve a quote’.

Policy documents

You can read our Landlord policy documents below.

These documents are for you if your policy started before 26 April 2023.

These are standard documents that might be different to the ones you received when you took out your policy.

Log in to your account to find your individual policy documents.

Policy documents for policies starting 26 April 2023

Frequently asked questions


Property Owner’s Liability, also known as Public Liability, will protect you if you're found responsible for accidental injury to third parties or damage to their possessions at your rental property.

For example, if someone trips on a loose carpet on the staircase and is seriously injured.

We provide £2 million Public Liability cover as standard.

Depending on the property you’re insuring, you may need to select a larger amount of cover, which might be guided by your contract with your customer.


Home insurance isn't designed for rental properties.

It’s important to get specialist Landlord Insurance to protect against costly claims.


With Churchill, you can cover all your properties under one policy.

You can insure up to 10 properties online or up to 25 properties if you contact us.


As a first step, try to resolve your issue directly with the tenant.

If that doesn’t work, put the complaint in writing and tell them you're considering legal action.

If that doesn’t resolve it, you can evict the tenant under Section 8 or Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988.

Need some help?

Visit our help and support page for answers to common questions or to contact us if you want to talk to someone. 

Help and support