Rent Arrears Cover

Churchill's got you covered if your tenants can't pay their rent

Cover for unpaid rent after correctly serving an eviction notice to repossess your residential property. 

Purchased as part of Legal Expenses add-on at new business or renewal. Provides cover for a maximum of 12 months or £250,000, whichever happens first, per claim. Cover is subject to reference and credit checks. Claims exclude prior losses and rent reduction. Claims are administered and managed by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Limited.


What is Rent Arrears Cover?

Rent Arrears cover protects you if your tenants can’t afford to pay their rent.

If you add Rent Arrears to your Landlord Insurance, we'll cover any unpaid rent (up to a maximum of 12 months for any one claim) while your tenants are still in the property.

We'll pay your repossession costs and expenses if you've correctly served all statutory and contractual notices to your tenant. 

Churchill’s Rent Arrears Cover gives you peace of mind if you’re losing rent, so you don’t have to worry about keeping up with your mortgage payments.

You can claim if your tenants haven’t paid their rent for 30 days.

Rent Arrears Cover is subject to satisfactory references for each tenant (and a guarantor where applicable) from a referencing service and that you keep up-to-date rental records.

It also depends on a claim for the repossession of the property being accepted.

Rent Arrears cover is also commonly known as Rent Guarantee or Tenant Default cover.

How do I get Rent Arrears Cover?

Rent Arrears cover isn't available on its own.

It’s part of our Legal Expenses cover – an optional extra you can add to our Landlord Insurance.

If you already have Landlord Insurance with us, you can take out Legal Expenses cover when you renew your policy and add Rent Arrears.

Rent Arrears cover is only available for residential properties in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (not including the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man).

Things you need to know

Before you add Rent Arrears Cover to your policy, there are some important things to note. 

The policy wording has the full terms and conditions, but you need to know the following key things about Rent Arrears Cover:

  • It is only for properties in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
  • It isn't available for properties in the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
  • It is for properties let under an assured shorthold tenancy, or a similar agreement.
  • It doesn't cover you if your claim is reported to DAS more than 90 days after the rent wasn't paid.
  • If you take out Rent Arrears Cover after the tenancy has started, you must wait 90 days before you can make a claim.
  • It isn’t available for rent arrears, which accrue in any period during which court action for possession of the property is not possible because of legislation, or government or court guidance or rules.

Other Landlord Insurance you might need

Buildings cover

You can get Buildings Insurance alongside Contents insurance or Buildings only cover, if you don’t have any contents to insure.

Learn more about Buildings Insurance

Contents cover

You can get Contents Insurance alongside your Buildings Insurance. It covers you for the cost of repairing or replacing damaged furnishings and furniture.

Learn more about Contents cover