Residential Landlord Insurance

£15 million buildings cover as standard.


What is Residential Landlord Insurance?

Residential Landlord Insurance is for landlords renting out a home for people to live in.

It covers the buildings and contents, which you can insure together or separately, and the cost of rehousing tenants if the property is damaged.

If you're letting a property to residential tenants, Home Insurance isn't enough to protect against accidental damage to your property or possessions or loss of rent and legal expenses.

Landlord Insurance doesn’t cover you if your tenants are living in the property with you, e.g. a lodger. This is covered under our Home Insurance.

If you want to rent out a property to a third-party business, you need Commercial Landlord Insurance, or if you have a mixed portfolio of residential and commercial properties you can insure them under a multi-property policy.

Buildings Insurance

If your property is unfurnished without contents, you can take out an insurance policy that covers your buildings only.

Churchill can offer up to £15 million buildings cover as standard.

Find out more about Buildings Insurance

Contents Insurance

If your property is furnished or part-furnished, you can take out an insurance policy for your contents only.

Churchill offers up to £1.5 million cover for damage to furniture, fixtures, and fittings that don’t form a permanent part of your property’s structure.

Find out more about Contents Insurance

Reasons to rely on Churchill for Residential Landlord Insurance

  • Buildings insured for up to £15 million, including Boiler Cover
  • Up to £1.5 million contents cover
  • New-for-old Contents Insurance
  • Access to a free 24/7 legal helpline
  • The cost of re-housing your tenants following an insured event such as a flood or fire
  • Public Liability and Property Owners Liability Insurance up to £2 million with options to increase it to £5 million or £10 million
  • Insure up to 10 properties on a multi-property policy online or call us to cover more
  • Insure floor coverings up to £5,000
  • Malicious damage and/or theft by tenant cover (damage you can’t from a security deposit, up to £10,000)
  • Unlimited glass cover

Make your policy work for you

Tailor your cover with our optional extras

Public Liability & Property Owners Liability

Increase Public Liability and Property Owners Liability Insurance up to £10m (subject to criteria)

Accidental Damage

Accidental damage for buildings and/or contents when you’ve insured them.

Loss of Rent

Cover for loss of rent if your property becomes uninhabitable following an insured event such as fire or flood.

Legal Expenses

Legal expenses cover up to £250,000 (including repossession cover)

Multi-Property Liability Cover

If you're a landlord for multiple properties, you can insure up to 10 properties on one policy online. If you need to insure more, just contact us.


Cover against damage to the building as a result of foundations moving. Including subsidence, landslip, or ground heave.

Terrorism Cover

Damage to a property as a result of terrorist acts can result in high costs unless you have the right level of cover in place.

Employers' Liability Cover

If you employ staff, you’re legally required to take out the right level of Employer's Liability Cover. We offer cover up to £10 million.